Surviving the International Project—Live Online
Delivered by Roger Kent, PMP, MA
|Time:||10am to 2pm CST|
RMC Project Management is now delivering its most popular advanced project management training classes live and online! Using one of the top online learning facilitation tools in the world, students will experience true, classroom-style learning in front of their own computer. In addition to world-class instruction from experienced instructors, our live online classes will feature live chat, white boards, breakout rooms, file sharing, testing/quizzing, and dozens of other learning-based features.
Your company has assigned you to manage two teams in three different countries, in four time zones. You are unsure of their skills, maturity levels and respect for process. One team is from a recently acquired subsidiary. What issues should you anticipate in this culturally diverse, internationally-virtual environment? How do you deal with team members' cultural diversity? And is the world really "flat"?
This course assumes you are not worried about the etiquette of ordering lunch in Shanghai—because you've never left your desk to travel across the seas. During this 4-hour workshop, culturally-seasoned project management trainer and consultant Roger Kent will cover critical and sensitive International Virtual Team-related topics like cultural self awareness, international communication skills (even when you don't speak the language) and the do's and don'ts of building virtual teams. Registrants for his course will learn dozens of tips and techniques to enhance not only their 21st century, global "McWorld", project management toolbox, but their PM skills for projects in their own backyards.
At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand cultural barriers, and more effectively help teams overcome them
- Utilize virtual teaming best practices that work anywhere on the planet
- Speak, write and communicate more effectively in a virtual environment
- Effectively leverage multiple channels to communicate project objectives and details
- Use 21st century tools to become a more collaborative manager
- What is Culture (and why should I care)?
- Cultural self-awareness (Who am I, and do I fit my own stereotype?)
- How to make culture work in your favor without giving up your values
- Three cultural variables PM's often miss
- The international virtual culture
- Virtual Teams
- The five things you should do to gain buy-in from team members far away
- Why you need more formal project management disciplines in the virtual arena
- How to encourage the feedback loop when non-U.S. technical team members clam up
- Virtual team tool overview: what's the best groupware solution for your situation?
- Culture is Communication
- How language effects thought
- The magic words that open doors in any language
- What is International English and how Americans can learn to speak it
- Diction: the key to being understood on Skype from Caracas to Karachi
- Global Emotional Intelligence
- How to be touchy-feely when there's no touch or feel
- Why Americans may have a hard time developing cross-cultural relationships (…but other cultures have their own issues)
- Adapting your leadership style to the International virtual terrain
- How does "McWorld" vs. Jihad play out on your project?